Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Elle!

Yesterday was Elle's 3rd birthday. We had a great family dinner and party for her. The highlight was her cake. Let me preface this by mentioning the great cake disaster of 07'. See, I have this small desire to be a great cake decorator like the guys you see on Ace of Cakes, or even like my good friend, Courtney. For Elle's 1st birthday I got this bright idea to make an ABC block cake. Well, it didn't turn out so well and I ended up freaking out and sending Bud to Costco to buy something 5 minutes before her little party began. Here's a pic of the attempt, and no, we hadn't eaten the cake yet. I couldn't even get it frosted without it crumbling like this:

It's taken me a couple years to want to try again, but while looking at cakes on Family Fun, Elle and I came across this Princess Castle cake and she got really excited and so I tried again. Things turned out much better this year, thank goodness or Bud would've ended up breaking the sabbath to get me another cake.


We also had a great Valentine's Day on Saturday. We "heart-attacked" the kids again this year. Jake and Jo got red, green and white hearts for their Mario and Luigi obsession. They all looked so cute, but unfortunately, they didn't get to see much of it because all four kids woke up in the middle of the night and three of them ended up sleeping in our room! Ugh. Also, my camera battery died and I cannot find the charger, thus the crappy pictures from Bud's phone, sorry.
Bud and I agreed not to do anything this year except a card, but the jerk had a dozen roses delivered to me Saturday afternoon. I'm obviously joking about the jerk thing, but I did go to See's Candy last minute and get him his favorites so he couldn't one-up me. The flowers were the most beautiful I had ever seen though and I love em!

5 comments:

Megan Lofgran said...

Gosh, you sure married a jerk! Well the cake looks great and I hope everyone is on the mend or heading that way anyways.

McKeehan Family said...

That cake looks great!! Good job!

Dawnya said...

Lins! Great job on the cake! I need to come see you all really soon. It's your turn to make me PB & J! :)

Jeremiah Nielson said...

yipee! the cake looks wonderful!
love u, court :)

team howey said...

Super cute cake! Kudos. We're coming out for spring break and Trav's sister's wedding...would love to get together!