Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Campout



I saw these pictures and wanted to make sure I got the story in down on paper (computer). Bud had been telling the kids that we'd do a backyard campout for months. During the summer it was too hot, then it seemed every weekend we could do it, the weather didn't cooperate, so finally after months of nagging, Bud promised the boys we'd do it the first weekend in December. This happened to also coincide with putting up Christmas, so that Saturday was hectic and we were kind of hoping the boys would forget. Of course, children don't forget anything, so they begged to set up the tent and the sweet dad that Bud is, he went ahead and did it. We did it in the family room and lit a fire in the fireplace for the "campfire". We even had microwaved smores. Bud had planned on sleeping in the tent with just the twins, but Elle was not leaving her brothers to have all the fun. The boys fell asleep quickly but after catching Elle sitting on top of her brothers trying to get them to wake up and play a few times, we had to move her into her crib. Bud "forgot" to make it back to the tent before the boys woke up the next morning and they were not too pleased with him, but still had such a great time. Sometimes I forget how worth the effort it is to make your children happy.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

I'm glad my boys are content to sleep in the family room sans tent. It still is one of their favorite things to do, but I fear once our backyard is no longer dirt, they won't be so complacent. That's funny that Bud "forgot" to go lay down with them. I don't know how many times Gage asks me to lay down with him and I tell him to go lay down and I will come when I am finished with whatever I'm doing. Then when I check on him 5 minutes later he's already asleep. A skillful parent discovers these tools and then wields them with masterful perfection! PS - Sorry for the novel length comment.