Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Garage Sale = Emotional Breakdown

Our neighborhood puts on an annual garage sale every two years. : ) I think it's supposed to be annual, but it didn't happen last year, so we jumped at the chance to get rid of some stuff when this years came around. Actually, I jumped at the chance, Bud didn't want much to do with it, he kept saying something about "a lot of work", and "I didn't realize what I was getting myself into". Over a couple weeks, I started a pile of stuff to sell. I had been struggling with including all the baby stuff, but finally came to the conclusion that it was time. Getting rid of the the clothes was heartbreaking for me. Luckily, some of the boy stuff went to friends in our ward who will have an 18-month old when she delivers her twins! Then a lot of other stuff went to a good friend of mine who lives just around the corner, so we joked that I could just buy it back if I needed to (but hopefully not). The day was long and hot and we didn't sell near as much as I would've liked to. So then the charity trucks came around to pick up anything left over. I had a big pile, including three boxes of baby girl clothes. It was a Safe Nest truck, so I gave him the baby clothes first, figuring they would go to families that needed it. Well, as the guy is chucking my precious baby clothes into his truck (literally throwing them and they're flying all over the place), he tells me that the clothes actually go to Savers to sell. Suddenly, I couldn't take it and had to run into the house to bawl like a baby. It was horrible. I feel good and right about being done, but the reality is hard to swallow. Babies have been a huge part of my life, it makes up so much of who I am and to have that chapter in my life close, is hard to accept. But I know I have to accept it sometime (I'm not that Dugger lady for heavens sake), so here's to the next chapter... By the way, it was NOT worth all the work and time. Bud was right. This time. Here are some happier pics from that day:
The kids had a lemonade and snack stand and I think made more money than we did. : )

2 comments:

Jenson Family said...

Poor girl! That was traumatic!

courtney said...

finally got around checking up on you! and this post was so touching! i miss you! i'm thinkin you & bud would LOVE a visit to Tahoe with us :) you are wonderful!