Monday, March 3, 2008

Soapbox

So this isn't going to be my most fun post, but I had to put it out there. Tonight, after watching my favorite show, John and Kate Plus Eight, a new show called Secret Life of a Soccer Mom came on. A woman who chose to stay home with her three children, got the opportunity to experience what her life would've been like had she stayed on the career path of a fashion designer. They put her to work with a high-end designer, and at the end of the week, she was offered a full-time job. And she took it. Her husband and the show's host applauded her decision, but I couldn't help but feel another slap in the face toward stay-at-home moms. Trust me, I get how hard motherhood can be. No monetary reward, not enough validation, you're dealing with bodily fluids galore, but I've always wanted to be a mom - that was my chosen career. Let me say too, that I think it's important for mother's to be individuals with talents, hobbies, friends, etc, but when did being a mom not become a big enough dream?

2 comments:

team howey said...

AMEN sister. I think I've been feeling a little more validated since watching Glenn Beck's ode to motherhood. In a nutshell, a lady called into the show and said "I'm just a mother". He went off about how important motherhood is. It really is. Sadly, people that aren't happy as mothers won't be happy as professionals and vice versa. Happiness is a choice.

Kindermusik with Celeste said...

I saw that episode as well and agree. Sad, very sad.